You don't stop laughing because you grow old.
You grow old because you stop laughing.
-Michael Pritchard

Thursday, April 24, 2008

some kind of wonderful....(not sure which kind)

after opening the mtn diew...before the tears started

feeling a little more excited now...

those things are huge!

luke at a "good" moment that night

cade's ipod cake

cj (what he prefers we call him, but we always forget) turned 9!! when he was 6, he asked for drums. we said no. rob came up with the magical number of 9, and for the last 3 years, cade has not forgotten. so you guessed it, cade got them. of course, rob and i being the mean parents we are, wrapped up a bottle of mtn dew (he's always wanted one of those too) and presented him with that gift. needless to say, he was disappointed, and just before the sadness got out of hand, we handed him the wrapped snare drum, let him open it, and then brought in the rest. it was then that we heard that it was "the best birthday of his life!" the chaos immediately started, mostly with luke wanting to play the drums and FREAKING out when he couldn't. we then had the family over, enjoyed cade's "ipod" cake, and will conclude with his friend party friday at 'jump on it'. cade also officially started drum lessons yesterday, and sounds great already. i can now live vicariously through cade, because ever since the 80's movie 'some kind of wonderful', i have secretly wished i could rock out on those things!

11 comments:

Kellie said...

I love the cake and you are deserve "Mother of the Year" award for the drum set!

Julie said...

lOVE THE CAKE YOU ARE SO CREATIVE

Lana said...

I love that entire birthday story. That is so classic! I love the drums so much. I bet he is in heaven......still! Thanks for your compliments on the party, but HELLO, look at you Miss I-Pod cake!! :) That cake is amazing. What a little heartbreaker too.

Anonymous said...

Drums? (what child doesn't want those!) You are amazing...

Your boys are so cute...love the pic of Luke having his "moment". I can't believe Cade is 9! Man kids grow fast.

Heather Gibb said...

Holy cow that cake is SOOOOOOO cool! You make amazing cakes!! I'm so bummed I missed you the other day.

Cori Simmons said...

So - I see another one of your many talents is cake decorating - aye? The drums are rockstar drums! Pretty cool! Thanks for your comment - keep in touch!

a wynn wynn situation said...

I cannot believe the cake... it looks real! You are the woman.
Let me know how the drums go- Paul wants a set and so I see all this in our future :)
And I can SO relate to Luke's "good moment" - Maddie is right there with him!

Deanna said...

Jill, you totally ROCK!!!!! I cannot believe the cake. When are you opening a store?

Sara said...

SO FUN! And great cake... as usual! :)

And I can totally see you as a Rockin' Roll Momma! You should take lessons WITH him... you'd be the cool-est Mom ev-ah!

Bjorn & Kris said...

Cade is the cutest little boy! He was in my primary class and i thought it then! He still is! So fun to keep in touch with you guys!

6 P's in a Pod said...

You get the best parents award for sure! DRUMS??? Oh, you guys are so very brave! I have a headache just thinking about it. He better become the next Neil Purt and make you guys a billion dollars!